Ah Spring Break, the week where students get a free pass to spend countless hours on the couch and forget about school work. Spring Break is the perfect time to catch up with friends and family and have some fun. But let’s face it…spring break can get expensive. Sure, it’s fun to road trip down to the sandy shore or jet off to New York City, but here are some things to entertain you over the week without spending a dime.
1. You don’t need to be lying out on a beach somewhere to soak up some Vitamin D. Get outside and take a hike. Explore. Grab some friends and a camera and snap some cool photos to document the fun.
2. Binge watch throwback movies all day. Whether that be by yourself, enjoying some peace away from the craziness that is life, or with friends, old movies are the best form of relaxation and happiness. Take yourself back to the glory days with High School Musical, Legally Blonde or The Little Rascals.
3. Who says you have to have a destination to hop in the car and drive? Take a mini road trip. Gather up the rest of your friends looking for some cheap fun, crank up the radio and hit the road.
4. Be adventurous. Try a new restaurant. Order something you would never order. Be bold. It could be the best decision of your life. After midterms, you deserve this treat. Maybe this one isn’t completely free, but it’s completely up to you to choose how much you spend.
5. This one may be the most exciting free thing to do all break: SLEEP. After a long few weeks of late nights and busy days, sleep is a college student’s biggest wish. And now you have an entire week that can be devoted to catching up on the sleep that you’ve so dearly missed. Take that nap you’ve been waiting for, I insist.
6. So, I already mentioned that you could try a new restaurant, but if that’s not really your thing, channel your inner chef and try making a new recipe in your own kitchen. Invite some friends over and let them be the judge of your new concoction.
7. Explore nearby areas. You never know the amazing things that may have been around you, you’ve just never taken the time to notice them. Find a café and just sit and people watch.
8. Make a difference this spring break. Volunteer your time at a local charity. You don’t have to go abroad to give back. Some of the most rewarding experiences can be found locally. Make this spring break one to remember by making it memorable for someone else.
The Ouachita Voices blog is a place for the people of Ouachita to tell the stories of Ouachita. Lend your voice to the conversation. Submit your ideas to email@example.com.