You can feel it. Everyone can sense it. Summer is approaching! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the days are warmer and you can hear the sound of the ocean and freedom calling as you are stuck inside studying all day.
As the days grow warmer, you can hardly contain your excitement for the upcoming break. The best thing is, no matter who you are or what you’re doing, every student on campus can’t wait. Whether you’re traveling, staying at home or getting a job, you are getting the summer fever. I don’t know about you, but I can already hear the sound of the waves rolling up onto the beach and the warmth of the sun on my skin – until I plummet into the reality that I have to write a 13-page exegetical before I can leave for the summer.
Even though your workload for the last days of the semester is probably unbelievable, you already have a million plans in mind. So, to get you through that last week of school, here are 10 things you can daydream about doing over summer break even though you’re still stuck in finals week..
1. Getting tan! You can finally see the sun again! You don’t have to hole up in a room reading dusty tomes, studying your little heart out or making yourself stay awake while you frantically type a paper before it’s due. You can finally lay out in nature and relax!
2. Sleep. This is my number one dream, well daydream, because let’s face it, I don’t have time for sleep at this point in the semester. No huge responsibilities means you can sleep all day if that’s what you want!
3. Opening doors. I know this sounds simple and a little crazy, but hear me out. You don’t have to rummage around, praying to the Lord that you didn’t forget your ID again. During the summer, all of the doors open for you, ID or not!
4. Wearing any color you want. While I love being in a social club, let’s face it, it’s hard to try and pick out something to wear that won’t offend anyone when all of the colors of the rainbow have already been spoken for.
5. Swimming. Whether it’s at the ocean (yay!), at a pool, lake or waterpark, no one can resist dreaming about a nice day in the sun and water
6. Start dreaming about what to binge watch first! Your queue is piling up with everything that people are talking about. Haven’t had time to watch the latest show that everyone’s been raving about? Pretty soon you will. Just dream of when you can watch Netflix to the point that it asks if you’re still watching.
7. Books! This might not be everyone’s daydream, but I know it’s mine! I can finally put down the textbooks and start on the huge stack of unread books by my bed. I can finally finish Harry Potter, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and Of Mice and Men, all of which I’ve been desperately trying to read for a year now
8. Eat! I mean, I love the Caf and Chick just as much as the next person, but nothing beats getting a good, home-cooked meal. And just think, you can eat whenever you want now, not just during caf or stu hours
9. Your room! This might make me the happiest. I can enjoy quiet nights in my own room at home – and no more trying to not die when I get down from my bunk bed in the morning
10. Seeing family and friends. You can finally see your family for longer than a weekend, and you can finally unpack your bags when you get home. You can also see all of your old friends from high school or meet up with the ones you’ve made in college.
The craziest thing about this summer dream is that once it’s finally here, about halfway in, you start to dream about school, but once you come back, the cycle begins all over again. So start daydreaming now and appreciate summer once it comes!
Do you have a story you’d like to tell on the Ouachita Voices blog? Or a friend who needs to tell a story on the blog? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea.
The Ouachita Voices blog is a place for the people of Ouachita to tell the stories of Ouachita. Lend your voice to the conversation. Submit your ideas to email@example.com.