Fall 2011, spring & summer 2012 pictures provided by students who attended Study Abroad opportunities through the Grant Center for International Education: Centro Studi Italiani, Italy; European Study Tour; Hands On; Liverpool Hope University, UK; Salzburg College, Austria; University of Costa Rica, Costa Rica; University of Edinburgh, Scotland; University of Orleans, France; University of Pelita Harapan, Indonesia. OBU Campus Ministries: Mission trip South Africa. Pruet Biblical Studies Trip: Turkey & Greece
Study Abroad Road Map
(Things to consider before you apply)
Attend the International Awareness Chapel set for Tuesday, Sep. 11 at 10:00 a.m. in JPAC
Attend one of the open information meetings to be held at 4:00 p.m. on the following Wednesday or Thursday at the Elrod Center.
Be sure that your parents or guardians approve—they usually have academic, social, financial and security questions! Your parents may contact me directly with their questions and concerns.
Most students borrow money to study abroad!
• Create a budget using the cost sheet found on this study abroad web site, under
How Much Does it Cost?
• Talk to Financial Services about your borrowing capacity/loans etc. and to confirm the 100% of outside scholarship money you can use and the 50% of OBU scholarship money you can use for study abroad.
• Talk to your family and confirm their understanding of the costs involved.
• Detailed costs are available on the Ouachita study abroad website
• Some additional scholarship money will be made available on a need basis after you are accepted to study aboard.
Talk to your adviser and your dean and make sure your courses will transfer. Having electives to use for study abroad is helpful but not always necessary. Consult the study abroad website for information on courses.
Are you ready to be independent and to think and act for yourself and to take personal responsibility for your actions? You will have deadlines to meet and you will have to deal with ambiguity and other cultural challenges.
7. Do Not:
Do not apply unless you have dealt with the above issues and are committed to go. There is a $200 non-refundable fee for applying to study abroad.
Apply through your web portal at http://info.obu.edu/
Immediately pay your $200 application fee and inform Ms. Tanya Jackson at email@example.com. Your application will not be processed until the fee is paid.
If you have any unanswered question, please feel free to set up an appointment with Ian Cosh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 245 5320
How much does it cost?
• (includes Tuition, Room & Board)
• A non-refundable study abroad fee (SAF) in the amount of $200 must be paid at the Student Financial Services before your application is processed. Please advise the International Education Officeas soon as you have paid your SAF.
• Gallagher Ins. for OBU travel abroad (Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Services)
STUDY ABROAD EXCHANGE INS. For students studying abroad, a global company providing insurance while out of the country.
Because of the individual nature of each person’s medical coverage in the Unites States and the need for good and comprehensive medical outside of the US border, the International Education Office will assist you in securing insurance through Gallagher Charitable International Insurance Sevices. See Cost Sheet for pricing.
How to Apply
• Fill out the study abroad on-line application. The application link is only available after the International Awareness Chapel each fall in September and again in March.
• To find the link, go to your student web portal, click on the information tab/academic affairs/study abroad
(After your application has been accepted, it will be reviewed by the University Centers Committee for approval. You will be notified of your acceptance or denial.)
Deadlines to apply to study abroad
• To Study in Spring, the Deadline is October 1
• To Study in Summer or Fall, the Deadline is March 1
(submit your application one semester in advance of your intended study semester)
Important Information & Miscellaneous links
• Travelers Health: www.cdc.gov
• Students Studying Abroad: studentsabroad.state.gov
• Airfares: www.ytbtravel.com
• Earth Calendar: www.earthcalendar.net
• Rick Steves Travel Guide: www.ricksteves.com
• Travel Cancellation Program: www.aaintl.com/iTravelInsured.cfm
(Those who participate in the European Study Tour may wish to consider purchasing travel cancellation insurance in order to cover their financial loss in the event have to cancel for covered reasons.)
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – - – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Daniel & Betty Jo Grant Center for International Education
Lile Hall: 104-109
Office Hours: Monday – Friday • 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-5:00
Email: Ian Cosh – email@example.com
Tanya Jackson – jacksont2obu.edu-