Senator John L. McClellan announced in June of 1976 that Ouachita Baptist University would be the repository for his official papers and memorabilia. Today, Senator McClellan’s papers are housed in OBU’s Riley-Hickingbotham Library. Over 1,200 linear feet of files form the foundation of the collection. The scrapbooks within the collection date from 1922, when McClellan ran for local office in Malvern.
There are a variety of photographs covering all aspects of his life and career as well as government documents and books from his personal library. The collection also includes a number of audio and video recordings.
McClellan Hall, the building that houses key artifacts from the senator’s life and career, was officially dedicated on April 4, 1978. In the building’s rotunda, plaques, awards, memorabilia, and photographs highlight the four phases of Senator McClellan’s career: “McClellan the Builder,” “McClellan the Investigator,” “McClellan the Legislator,” and “McClellan the Man.” A re-creation of his office serves as the centerpiece of the exhibit and contains his office desk and chair, his chair from the Senate Chamber, an oil painting of his wife, a large stuffed owl from his owl collection, and many other items.