Bachelor of Arts, Biblical Studies and English, 1998
Executive Director, M-POWER Ministries
“My humanities education taught me to locate, interpret and apply ideas and information—to think and to act with confidence. I am continually grateful for the ‘impractical’ liberal arts education Ouachita provided.” –Ryan Hankins
Fast Facts about Ryan Hankins:
- Following his Ouachita graduation, Ryan studied for one year at Oxford University. According to Ryan, “It was during that year that I began to realize just how well Ouachita prepared me.”
- After returning from England, Ryan completed seminary courses at Samford University’s Beeson Divinity School.
- In 2004, Ryan was hired as the executive director of M-POWER Ministries, a faith-based, urban ministry provides a wide number of opportunities for change and growth in the Birmingham metropolitan area.
- As executive director of M-POWER Ministries, Ryan wears many hats: accounting, fundraising, human resources, advertising, marketing, counseling, conflict management, public relations, public policy, education, healthcare and literacy.
Advice for Current Students:
- Take advantage of every opportunity, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Take classes from the best professors, no matter what they teach.
- Don’t underestimate the value—and rarity—of writing well.
- For those entering vocational ministry, first, delve into the history and theology of the church, as we have much to lean from those who came before us. Second, earn a second major in another field. The church needs well-rounded and diverse leaders.