OBU Home
Apply Online | Give Online
Ouachita Baptist University

ROTC: Commissioning Programs

ROTC Completion Cadet

  • A completion cadet takes every ROTC class, beginning as a freshman.  He or she will complete the program as a senior, at which time he/she will be commissioned.  This type of student, once contracted, will be required to attended regular ROTC events, including Physical Training during the week, weekly labs, and LDAC.  He/she will be eligible for the monthly ROTC stipend, National Guard benefits if he/she joins the SMP, and scholarships.  Completion cadets are not eligible to receive the benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill during their time as a cadet.


  • If you have already started school but haven’t taken all the ROTC courses, this is a good option for you.  Leaders’ Training Course, or LTC, will teach you the basics of the military: including Drill and Ceremony, team building, marksmanship, and leadership qualities.  Cadets generally go through LTC the summer before their junior year, and then enroll in the MSIII course on their return to their home school.  ROTC event attendance is the same as a completion cadet, and the benefits are also the same.

ROTC Prior Service Cadet

  • This cadet is someone who has been through Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training.  Cadets can enter this program as late as fall of their junior year, when they would enroll in the MSIII course.  Event attendance is the same as above.  Prior service cadets receive the monthly ROTC stipend, GI Bill/Higher Kicker, Federal Tuition Assistance, and possibly scholarships, if needed.

ROTC Options for Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard & Veteran Soldiers: SMP

  • The objective of the ROTC Simultaneous Membership Program, or SMP, is to provide cadets with hands-on leadership experience in a National Guard unit prior to commissioning by allowing them to serve as junior “officers” while still in college. As an SMP you will participate in drill with your unit one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer with pay and benefits. After graduation, the cadet can remain with his Guard unit or accept an active duty position.


  • Receive experience and serve in a TPU as a company grade officer.
  • Receive a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) contract if desired. Non-scholarship students may request a GRFD contract, and if approved, are assured they will have USAR unit duty.
  • Receive pay as an E-5. An E-5 (2 years of service) is entitled to $58.65 for one reserve drill. In general, a weekend drill is worth 4 one day drills; $58.65 x 4=$234.61 per weekend. An SMP participant who performs 12 weekend drills per year could earn $2,815.32.
  • Receive a ROTC subsistence allowance every month which varies by year in college.
  • Receive Advance ROTC Camp cadet pay during the summer of your junior year (approximately $700)
  • One-year possible benefit:
    — ROTC Subsistence allowance: $2,500.00
    — Weekend Drills: $2815.32


  1. Federal/Guard Tuition Assistance (100% up to $4500 per year)
  2. ROTC stipend of at least $350-$500/month
  3. SMP pay at the rank of Sergeant (approximately $225/month)
  4. Eligible for AR ARNG scholarship
  5. New GI Bill for $309/month
  6. SMP Kicker of $350/month
  7. $900/year for books


  1. 8 Combined Service
  2. 3 active & 5 IRR
  3. 8 USAR or ARNG
  4. 6 ARNG or USAR & 2 IRR