Creating the VPN connection
Be aware that internet connection speed will be slower due to the fact that all traffic is being routed through OBU’s network. Disconnect from this connection once you have completed the work needed.
1. Display the Charms bar, click Search, and then click Settings.
2. Type VPN into the Search box.
3. Click the Set Up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) Connection button in the Search results pane.
4. Enter vpn.obu.edu, into the Internet Address text box. A descriptive name to help you keep track of the connection (such as OBU VPN), in the Destination Name text box
5. Click Create.
6. Right click the VPN connection and choose View Connection Properties
7. Click the Security tab and change Type of VPN to Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
8. Change Data encryption to Optional encryption (connect even if no encryption)
9. Under Authentication choose Allow these protocols and check Microsoft Chap Version 2 then click OK
- To use the VPN connection choose Settings from the Charms bar and select the Networks icon
- Select the VPN connection and choose Connect. Enter your OBU email username and password then click OK.
- To close the VPN connection choose Settings from the Charms Bar and select the Networks icon
- Select the VPN connection and choose Disconnect.