A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure connection that allows your computer to access the University computer network when you are not on campus or if you are using wireless connections.
The instructions below are for Mac OS X. Be aware that internet connection speed will be slower due to the fact that all traffic is being routed through OBU’s network. Disconnect from this connection once you have completed the work needed.
Creating the VPN Connection
- From the Apple menu select System Preferences
- Click Network. Make sure the padlock icon is unlocked in the lower left. If it is locked click it to unlock. Enter the password for an administrator account.
- Click the + to create a new connection
- Select interface VPN
- Set VPN Type to PPTP
- Click Create
- Enter the server addressvpn.obu.edu
- For the account name enter your username
- Select the VPN (PPTP) connection in the left side of the window and then click the Advanced button
- Optional: Check the box to Show VPN status in menu bar
- Check the box to Send all traffic over VPN connection
- Click OK
Using the VPN connection
- From the Apple Menu choose System Preferences then Network
- Select the VPN (PPTP) connection on the left then click Connect
Closing the VPN connection
- Return to System Preferences and Network. Select the VPN connection then click theDisconnect button. If the VPN status is displayed in the menu bar, click the VPN icon and from the drop-down list select Disconnect.