Seinan Gakuin University
Since 1875, Ouachita has conducted an exchange program with Seinan Gakuin University in Fukuoka City, Japan. During these years, over students have experienced the rich and exciting dimensions of Japanese culture. It is not unusual for students who have participated in this program to return to Japan after graduation to live, work, or continue their studies.
Ouachita students live in an international residence hall with students from other U.S. universities during their stay in Fukuoka City. Students can also take public transportation to and from the University.
Students selected to participate in the two-semester program may earn up to 36 hours of course credit. A list of possible courses can be obtained from the International Studies Director at Ouachita.
An example of courses offered at Senian Gakuin University are as follows:
• Japanese I, II, III, IV, V, VI
• Traditional Japanese Sports
• Comparative Religions
• Traditional Culture of Japan
• History of Japan
• Japanese Psychology & Society
• Japanese Economy
• Japanese Business Management
• Japanese Government
• Japanese Foreign Policy
• Japanese Society & Law
• Intra-Cultural Communication
Seinan Gakuin University, originally a Baptist institution, continues as one of the top centers of higher learning in Japan. Fukuoka is a city of two million and very near historic Nagasaki. Fukuoka City is one of the most progressive and modern cities in the country. There are wonderful public transportation facilities and easy access to rail and air transportation to other countries of the Pacific rim.
Two options for the study abroad program at Seinan
There are 2 options for the study abroad program at Seinan Gakuin.
One year full immersion experience. Seinan is unique in that we offer one full academic scholarship and two tuition scholarships. Because this study abroad is for one academic year, the application for exchange student or application for self-financed student process is on a different time table. The application deadline is March 1st.
There is a 4 week Japanese Language Program in the summer Application and fees are found here. The application deadline is March 1st.
Two scholarships are available for study abroad students:
Exchange & Study Abroad Page (Under Study Abroad see-Application Exchange Students)
Prior to the interview process, students must have completed:
• A completed International Studies Application Form
• Three letters of recommendation (One of which must be the the Dean of the school of the student’s major)
• A personal essay that explains your interest in the program
Cost: 2013 Japan Costsheet
• Second semester freshman classification at the time of selection
• A minimum of a 2.5 GPA
• Good standing with the University
• Dean’s approval
Courses taken by OBU student at Seinan Gakuin University
- Fall Semester Sept –Dec
- Beginning Japanese I
- Beginning Japanese II
- Beginning Japanese III
- Comparative Religions A
- Japanese Psychology and Society A
- Intercultural Communication A
- Health Issues – Japan Ns World
- Japanese Society through manga and movies
- Spring Semester Jan – May
- Beginning Japanese IV
- Beginning Japanese V
- Beginning Japanese VI
- Comparative Religions B
- Traditional Culture of Japan B
- Japanese Psychology and Society B
- Japanese Economy B
- Business customs and Communications in Japan B