Seinan Gakuin University
Since 1973, Ouachita has conducted an exchange program with Seinan Gakuin University in Fukuoka City, Japan. During these years, students have experienced the rich and exciting dimensions of Japanese culture. It is not unusual for students who have participated in this program to return to Japan after graduation to live, work, or continue their studies.
Ouachita students live in an international residence hall with students from other U.S. universities during their stay in Fukuoka City. Students can also take public transportation to and from the University.
Students selected to participate in the two-semester program may earn up to 36 hours of course credit. A list of possible courses can be obtained from the International Studies Director at Ouachita.
An example of courses offered at Senian Gakuin University are as follows:
• Japanese I, II, III, IV, V, VI
• Traditional Japanese Sports
• Comparative Religions
• Traditional Culture of Japan
• History of Japan
• Japanese Psychology & Society
• Japanese Economy
• Japanese Business Management
• Japanese Government
• Japanese Foreign Policy
• Japanese Society & Law
• Intra-Cultural Communication
Seinan Gakuin University, originally a Baptist institution, continues as one of the top centers of higher learning in Japan. Fukuoka is a city of two million and very near historic Nagasaki. Fukuoka City is one of the most progressive and modern cities in the country. There are wonderful public transportation facilities and easy access to rail and air transportation to other countries of the Pacific rim.
General Information about the Center for International Education at SGU (Under Study Abroad see-Application Exchange Students)
Prior to completing the SGU application process, students must complete:
• The OBU study abroad application process and been approved to study abroad by the Director of the Grant Center for International Education
• Second semester freshman classification at the time of selection
• A minimum of a 2.5 GPA
• Good standing with the University
• Dean’s approval
Two options for the study abroad program at Seinan
There are 2 options for the study abroad program at Seinan Gakuin.
Seinan’s application process . A full academic scholarship and two tuition scholarships are available to study at SGU. Fall applicants and full year (fall and spring) applicants apply in the spring. Spring only applicants apply in the fall.
Two independently funded public scholarships are available for study abroad students who wish to apply as individuals:
Courses taken by OBU student at Seinan Gakuin University
- Fall Semester Sept –Dec
- Beginning Japanese I
- Beginning Japanese II
- Beginning Japanese III
- Comparative Religions A
- Japanese Psychology and Society A
- Intercultural Communication A
- Health Issues – Japan Ns World
- Japanese Society through manga and movies
- Spring Semester Jan – May
- Beginning Japanese IV
- Beginning Japanese V
- Beginning Japanese VI
- Comparative Religions B
- Traditional Culture of Japan B
- Japanese Psychology and Society B
- Japanese Economy B
- Business customs and Communications in Japan B
Below is the Seinan online application app.