Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, 1987
Physician, Renal Associates
Little Rock, Arkansas
“The easiest part of medicine is taking care of the disease. The true ‘art’ of medicine is taking care of and loving your patient. I believe that the broad liberal arts education and Christian teachings at Ouachita help students do just that.”
–Dr. Kevin Heifner
Fast facts about Dr. Kevin Heifner:
- Following graduation from Ouachita, Kevin attended the University of Tennessee College of Medicine then spent five years in training at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. He served as an assistant professor of medicine/nephrology at UAB for several years before moving to Little Rock.
- Kevin now serves kidney patients through St. Vincent’s Hospital and Baptist Hospital in Little Rock.
Why he is glad he went to Ouachita:
- Kevin appreciates the strength of the school of natural sciences, the size of the university and the commitment to individualized instruction.
- Dr. Joe Jeffers remains the single best classroom teacher Kevin ever had. Dr. Jeffers promoted a logical approach to problem solving, taught with clarity and has remained a friend over the twenty years since Kevin graduated from Ouachita.
How Ouachita prepared him for a career in medicine…
- Kevin says that Ouachita prepared him to think critically and ask good questions.
- In addition to science courses, the liberal arts offering—philosophy, in particular—helped prepare Kevin to be a caring physician.