Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1985
Insurance Commissioner for the State of Arkansas
Little Rock, Arkansas
“My years at Ouachita prepared me to think both on my feet and outside the box.” –Julie Benafield Bowman
Why you might recognize Julie Bowman:
- In 2005, Julie was appointed by Governor Mike Huckabee as Insurance Commissioner, a cabinet position. She is only the second female in Arkansas history to receive this prestigious post.
- She was profiled in the “Forty Under Forty” feature in Arkansas Business.
Before becoming Insurance Commissioner:
- After graduating form the University of Arkansas in Little Rock’s School of Law in 1989, Julie went to work for the Little Rock prosecuting attorney’s office. Later, she served as general counsel for the Arkansas Development Finance Authority.
- From 1998 until 2005, Julie was CEO of the Arkansas Worker’s Compensation Commission, where she expanded the services of the Health and Safety Division, streamlined complex forms and revised policy.
Why Julie is glad she went to Ouachita:
- Academically, she credits her rigorous political science and communications classes for setting her firmly on her career path.
- In addition to the countless hours she spent exploring political ideas in Dr. Hal Bass’s classroom, Julie counts her carefree days in the dorm and the deep friendships made there among her cherished Ouachita memories.