|A ‘Tiger for Life’ is thankful to those whose support preserved Ouachita in the past, celebrates and promotes the Ouachita of today, and joins with others to guarantee Ouachita’s existence for future students.|
“Tiger for Life” is new – but it’s a reflection of something as old as Ouachita itself. This campus, this experience, this family finds a place in your heart and stays… for life!
The Tiger for Life brand was created in the spring of 2010 by a group of 13 Ouachita students working on a class project. This became much more than an assignment to these students. It became their “gift” to Ouachita’s future.
- Raise awareness of Ouachita’s heritage and unique position in the world of higher education.
- Foster appreciation for the personal and financial sacrifices of others that make the Ouachita experience possible.
- Provide opportunities to serve and give in order to secure Ouachita’s health and future.
Freshman/Transfer Orientation (Welcome to Ouachita’s World)
All freshmen and transfer students receive a Tiger for Life t-shirt — their very first official Ouachita wear. They also learn about the legacy of donors on campus and why it’s so important to be grateful to those donors and eventually to become a donor!
Students participate in a week of gratitude, including “Bowing Day,” where all campus building are wrapped in purple ribbon signifying a donor’s provision.
Tuition Freedom Day
At about 80% through the academic year, we celebrate the day that student’s tuition “runs out” and donors begin paying the difference. Though the day is symbolic, it is a great reminder that tuition, room and board only cover about 80% of what it costs to experience Ouachita. Student celebrate Tuition Freedom Day by writing thank you notes to every Annual Fund donor up to that day that year.
Students compete in a talent show, sponsored by campus clubs and organizations. All proceeds benefit the Ouachita Annual Fund.
All graduating seniors are encouraged to pledge $50 as their “Senior Class Gift.” In 2011, the classes began splitting their gift between paying for the Senior Walk and giving their first gift to the Ouachita Annual Fund. The class of 2013 gave over $3,000 in first-time pledges to the Annual Fund!
Alumni and friends can partner with current students!
- By purchasing Tiger For Life logo merchandise.
- By using the name “Tiger for Life” to describe yourself and what you do to promote Ouachita in your church, with your friends, and to high school students.
- By supporting Ouachita’s Annual Fund each year. Did you know only 80% of Ouachita’s operating budget is covered by tuition, room and board? The Annual Fund is needed to help bridge that 20% gap each year. Read more about the Annual Fund.