Thank you for your interest in Hands-On Ouachita. Here is how to sign up.
Applying with the IMB
To participate in Hands-On Ouachita you must also be accepted into the Hands-On program of the International Mission Board, SBC (IMB Connecting), or a similar program from an approved institution. The IMB recommends you begin their application process eight to ten months prior to your “desired service date.” See the official Hands-On website for application information.
Contact Dr. Ray Franklin, coordinator for OBU’s academic side of the Hands-On program. Set up a time to come by his office for a personal interview. He must give you preliminary approval before you proceed.
Note: If you are a student from another university seeking credit for transfer, some of the following steps my not apply.
Consult with Ouachita Baptist University’s Financial Aid office. They can tell you how being off campus for a semester will affect your financial package, including scholarships, loans, and grants.
Apply for the Study Abroad Program at the Daniel & Betty Jo Grant Center for International Education.
- Fill out the study abroad on-line application. The application link is only available after the International Awareness Chapel each fall in September and again in March.
- To find the link, go to your student web portal, click on the information tab and navigate to academic affairs/study abroad.
After your application has been accepted, it will be reviewed by the University Centers Committee for approval. You will be notified of your acceptance or denial.
- October 1 for the following spring, and
- March 1 for the following fall.
- Official approval of your application will take approximately two weeks after these deadlines.
Talk to your OBU faculty advisor. Ask to be registered for the following classes:
- MSSN 4813.0 HANDS-ON PRACTICUM
- MSSN 4303.0 MISSIONS METHODOLGY
- MSSN 4313.0 INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION
- MSSN 4823.0 FIELDWORK
After completing the proper paperwork you will automatically be enrolled in..
- MSSN 3433.0 INTERNSHIP