Your first year in college is a time of transition, growth and fun.
Our mission as the faculty, staff and students of Ouachita is to encourage growth in all aspects of your life and to help you make the most of your time here. Ouachita’s First-Year Experience is a comprehensive program of activities and events both on campus and off. The “FYE” program helps with your transition by focusing on specific parts of your development as a student and as a person. Several FYE activities are highlighted below.
Early Registration (ER)
[ April 12 & 26, 2014 ]
At ER, you will learn more about Ouachita’s academic programs, meet with an academic advisor and register for fall classes. You’ll also attend a session on student life and get to know some of your classmates in a relaxed campus atmosphere. It’s a great way to get a head start on your freshman year!
Questions answered during Early Registration:
- What will my first semester at college involve?
- How will I get involved in student life?
- What classes will I have in the fall?
- Who will I go to with questions as I start life at OBU?
Learn more and register for Early Registration
Freshman Outdoor Orientation Trip (FOOT)
[ August 2-7, 2014 ]
FOOT provides incoming freshmen with a unique opportunity to form lasting relationships within a small group outdoor environment. Through team-building and adventure activities, we will learn to trust and rely on each other while developing new skills and overcoming outdoor challenges. Come experience God’s creation in a positive, encouraging environment as you prepare for your new adventure at Ouachita.
Questions answered during FOOT:
- What is it like to live in community?
- How can my college life be affected by forming interpersonal connections with students, faculty, and staff?
- How can team-building and problem solving help my personal growth?
- How is college similar to the adventures and opportunities that we’ll encounter on the FOOT trip?
Learn more about Rec Life
Welcome to Ouachita’s World (WOW)
[ August 23-25, 2014 ]
WOW, Ouachita’s new student orientation, is your first real experience as a college student and begins on move-in day. You will spend three days getting to know campus and other new students in a small group setting, having lots of fun in activities and events and learning more about what makes Ouachita unique.
Questions answered during WOW:
- What are some things I need to know in order to be successful in college?
- Where will my classes be held?
- How can I be involved on campus?
- How can I balance school and a social life?
Learn more about WOW
Spotlight on Arkadelphia
[ August 26, 2014 ]
Spotlight on Arkadelphia is an annual campus event that shows students what the surrounding community and area have to offer. The festival-style atmosphere includes booths, food and freebies from dozens of Arkadelphia businesses, organizations and churches.
Questions answered during Spotlight on Arkadelphia:
- Which area businesses offer products and services of interest to students?
- Which organizations and churches offer opportunities for student involvement?
Learn more about Arkadelphia
[ Fall or Spring Semester ]
A required course taken by most freshmen in their first semester, OBU Connections will introduce students to higher education and to Ouachita. Structured in two parts, the course first helps students identify and develop skills and disciplines necessary for academic success at the college level. Students will explore Ouachita’s mission as a Christian college in the liberal arts tradition and how it can help them achieve career and personal goals. In the second part of the course, students will rekindle their curiosity and joy in learning through working creatively and collaboratively with peers on an intensive and interdisciplinary study of a topic chosen by the instructor.
Questions answered during OBU Connections:
- What is the liberal arts tradition in education?
- What is a Christian worldview and what does it have to do with education?
- How can I increase my likelihood of success in college and beyond?
- What value is there in viewing a single topic or issue from the perspective of multiple academic disciplines?
Campus Ministries Fall Retreat
[ August 29-30, 2014]
Spend your first weekend on campus with upperclassmen in worship services and breakout sessions designed to encourage your walk with Christ. You’ll also meet students, faculty and staff who are currently leading ministries and investing in the spiritual life of the Ouachita community.
Questions answered during the CM Fall Retreat:
- Where can I plug into ministry and service at Ouachita?
- How should the gospel impact my life during college?
- How do I connect with a local church?
Learn more about Campus Ministries
Freshman Family Groups (FFG)
[ Register after move-in ]
In FFG, Campus Ministries connects you with a group of friends and an upper-classman “mom” and “dad.” This family is a great support for you socially and spiritually during your first semester at Ouachita. Families often eat meals together, play intramurals and just hang out. Your “mom” and “dad” are there for any questions you have throughout the year.
Questions answered during Freshman Family Groups:
- Who are some upperclassmen I can go to?
- How can I start to make social connections?
- How can I talk about my faith with other students?
Learn more about Campus Ministries
[ October 16, 2014 ]
The Majors Fair, held each fall in late October, offers you the opportunity to visit with faculty and staff from all disciplines offered at OBU. Here you can gain the tools you need to decide which major is right for you.
Questions answered during the Majors Fair:
- What are the majors/minors offered at OBU?
- What are some career paths that go along with my major?
- How can I change my major?
Learn more about Ouachita’s programs of study