In November 1885, a vote of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention authorized Ouachita Baptist College as an institution of higher education. The institution’s Board of Trustees voted in April 1886 to locate the school in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. In June 1886, the board elected J.W. “Dr. Jack” Conger to be Ouachita’s first president at age 29. Classes began on Sept. 6, 1886, and Ouachita has continued to operate in the same location from the 19th century to the present.
Reflecting Ouachita’s longstanding focus on a love of God and a love of learning, Dr. Conger declared in his inaugural baccalaureate address, “Knowledge is no blessing, unless it is used well and wisely. With it alone, life is not complete. In dealing with things you see, you must walk hand in hand with faith in the unseen, thus only making life beautiful and blessed.”
President Conger’s administration saw the construction of a number of buildings, including Old Main in 1888. During his tenure, the faculty expanded from six to 26, enrollment more than doubled to 476 and the graduating class increased to 34 in 1907. Dr. Jack’s legacy is kept alive today with a memorial on campus and the popular Dr. Jack’s Coffeehouse named in his honor in 2012.
In Ouachita’s early years, the Great Depression brought new challenges as enrollment dropped. Keeping the doors open was a struggle. Yet under the steady leadership of Dr. J.R. Grant, Ouachita’s eighth president, the college weathered the storm and experienced significant growth, including the construction of a gymnasium, student center, auditorium and dormitory. Student enrollment and faculty numbers increased, particularly after World War II when a high of 897 students was reached in 1947. After Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1949, the Grant Memorial Building was dedicated in 1953, honoring Dr. Grant’s achievements and housing Ouachita’s administration until 1995.
The tenure of Ouachita’s eleventh president, Dr. Ralph Phelps, Jr., saw a revised and expanded curriculum, the introduction of a graduate program, doubling of Ouachita’s endowment and a then-record enrollment of 1,881 in 1966. Major facilities constructed under Dr. Phelps’ leadership and still in use include O. C. Bailey Hall, J.E. Berry Chapel and Bible Building and portions of Riley Library and Verser Theatre. The Board of Trustees voted in 1965 to change the institution’s name to Ouachita Baptist University.
Academic and Christian Excellence
In 1970, Dr. Daniel R. Grant, who grew up as the son of Ouachita’s eighth president, followed in his father’s footsteps. During Dr. Grant’s tenure as Ouachita’s twelfth president, the university experienced strong growth through an emphasis on “Academic and Christian Excellence.”
Advancements that reverberate to this day include international exchange programs, an expanded honors program and the establishment of endowed chairs of instruction. Much of the campus was rebuilt with the addition of Evans Student Center (1973), Lile Hall (1973), Mabee Fine Arts Center (1975), the campus drive and pedestrian bridge (1976), Eddie Blackmon Field House (1977), McClellan Hall (1978), Lancelot and Starlight Apartments (1981), Sturgis Physical Education Center (1983) and Riley-Hickingbotham Library (1987). The average number of graduates each year grew from 228 in the 1960s to 322 in the 1980s.
“My sense of mission at Ouachita, above everything else, was to make academic excellence and Christian excellence strong and inseparable,” said Dr. Grant. “That is Ouachita’s great tradition and great vision.”
Dr. Ben M. Elrod, a 1952 Ouachita graduate, was elected as his alma mater’s thirteenth president in 1988. Under his leadership, undergraduate enrollment grew by more than 30 percent and climbed to record levels during the 1990s. The university phased out graduate programs to concentrate on undergraduate education. A far-reaching emphasis on international education was developed through the Daniel R. Grant International Studies Program (now the Daniel and Betty Jo Grant Center for International Education). The number of international students and MKs grew to nearly 10 percent of the student body, and each year nearly 100 Ouachita students participated in international exchange programs with universities in several countries.
The campus took on a new look with the addition of R.A. Lile Hall (1989), Jones Performing Arts Center (1992), Anthony Residence Hall (1994), Maddox Residence Hall (1995), the Tiger Den (1996), the Katie Speer Pavilion and Gardens (1996-1998), the International Flag Plaza (1997) and the Harvey Jones Science Center (1997). Cone-Bottoms Hall, a residence hall for women from 1923 through 1985, was completely remodeled in 1994 to house the Grant Administration Center.
In October 1996, the Ouachita Board of Trustees voted to resume responsibility for trustee selection, as prescribed in the institution’s original charter. The amended charter reversed the provision of a 1914 revision that had allowed the election of trustees by messengers to the annual meeting of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. Under Dr. Elrod’s leadership, the board continued to collaborate with the convention nominating committee in the trustee selection process.
“An institution such as Ouachita is a living entity, created afresh by each generation,” reflected Dr. Elrod, who has served since 1998 as university chancellor. “It is exciting to view a new Ouachita being built on the foundation of the past.”
Under the leadership of Dr. Andrew Westmoreland, elected Ouachita’s fourteenth president in 1998, the university continued its emphasis on strengthening undergraduate education. The CORE curriculum was fully implemented, reviewed and revised. The university was reorganized into eight schools, each led by an academic dean: the Frank D. Hickingbotham School of Business, the Chesley and Elizabeth Pruet School of Christian Studies, the Michael D. Huckabee School of Education, the School of Fine Arts, the School of Humanities, the School of Interdisciplinary Studies, the J. D. Patterson School of Natural Sciences and the W.H. Sutton School of Social Sciences.
During the Westmoreland administration, the Center for Family and Community was renamed in honor of Chancellor Ben M. Elrod, and the Sutton Center for Integrity was established in honor of longtime trustee chairman William H. “Buddy” Sutton and his late wife, Peggy. Additions to the campus during Dr. Westmoreland’s tenure included the Ouachita Commons dining facility (2001), the Crews Indoor Athletic Pavilion (2003), Hickingbotham Hall (2006) and the Pat and Willard Walker Conference Center (2006).
Dr. Westmoreland was elected president of Samford University in 2006. Looking back on his years as a Ouachita student, staff member and president, he said, “At the heart of the institution stood the members of our faculty, brought together from points around the world with a desire to fuse the love of God with the love of learning. To this day, I am inspired by them.”
Equipping “Difference Makers”
Dr. Rex M. Horne, Jr., was named by the Board of Trustees to become the fifteenth president of Ouachita, effective June 1, 2006. Prior to accepting the Ouachita presidency, he served 16 years as senior pastor of Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock as well as serving two terms as president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention.
A call for Ouachita students, faculty and staff to be “difference makers” in all areas of life has been a hallmark of Dr. Horne’s presidency. Under his leadership, Ouachita has significantly enhanced and expanded campus facilities, including opening the Student Village and Ben and Betty Elrod Boulevard and campus entrance in 2009 as well as Heflin Plaza and Georgia W. Hickingbotham and Westside residence halls in 2010. Major remodeling projects that have added life and energy to existing facilities include Evans Student Center, Lile Hall and the Grant Center for International Education.
President Horne facilitated Ouachita’s yearlong 125th anniversary celebration in 2011, including launching the university’s 125th anniversary “Defining the Difference” capital campaign. The university also continues to gain national recognition for academic excellence among such publications as U.S. News & World Report and Forbes.
“Ouachita is widely recognized as an excellent university,” Dr. Horne said. “The future years will testify of excellence all around campus. Our teaching, student life, athletics, facilities and expectations will be marked by excellence. I know of no other word that should more fully describe Ouachita Baptist University.”
John W. Conger • 1886-1907
Henry S. Hartzog • 1907-1911
Robert G. Bowers • 1911-1913
Samuel Y. Jameson • 1913-1916
Charles E. Dicken • 1916-1926
Arthur B. Hill • 1926-1929
Charles D. Johnson • 1929-1933
James R. Grant • 1934-1949
S. William Eubanks • 1949-1951
Harold A. Haswell • 1952-1953
Ralph A. Phelps, Jr. • 1953-1969
Daniel R. Grant • 1970-1988
Andrew Westmoreland • 1998-2006
Rex M. Horne, Jr. • 2006-Present